Bellarmine is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). This accrediting body operates from a core value of integrity and seeks to enhance educational quality and promote institutional effectiveness. To maintain accreditation from the SACSCOC, Bellarmine’s program is regularly evaluated to ensure it meets outlined expectations and standards.
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 Telephone: 404-679-4500
Process for Programmatic Accreditation
Bellarmine’s Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) program is accredited through the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS). This NAACLS accredited Medical Laboratory Science program meets high standards of academic excellence, as mandated by the NAACLS. To maintain this accreditation, Bellarmine regularly participates in an extensive review process to ensure academic standards are met. In 2017, Bellarmine University received accreditation for the next ten years, the maximum accreditation award available.
Steps in the initial review process include:
- The institution undertakes a self-study report to submit to NAACLS.
- If approved, a site visit is coordinated and performed.
- Findings from the site visit are presented by the Program Review Committee.
- The presentation is assessed by the Quality Assurance Committee.
- The Board of Directors evaluates all findings based on its Standards.
- An accreditation recommendation is determined, and the institution is informed of its accreditation status.
National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science 5600 N. River Rd, Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018 Telephone: 773.714.8880; Fax: 773.714.8886; [email protected].
Program Learning Outcomes
Bellarmine’s NAACLS-accredited Medical Laboratory Science program is designed to lead to four program outcomes to promote student success post-graduation. The choice of these outcomes is based on standard expectations for individuals in the laboratory science field.
- Establish a personal scientific knowledge base to apply in clinical practice.
- Develop strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Perform a wide range of laboratory tests with accuracy.
- Demonstrate appropriate professional behavior.
Bellarmine’s MLS program has achieved the following outcomes for 2018-2020:
- Graduation rate: 100 percent (for students beginning the second half of the program).
- Employment rate: 100 percent of graduates are employed in the MLS field within six months, or are pursuing additional education.
|MLS(ASCP) exam pass rates:||2017||2018||2019||2020|
|BU grads, first time pass rate||100%||78.6%||83.3%||100%|
|National first time pass rate||79.6%||79.6%||81.9%||80.5%|
|Total BU grad pass rate||100%||85.7%||83.3%||100%|